Monday, April 2, 2012

My thoughts about Social Networking and Digital Citizenship

When it comes to social networking, it seems to be a growing field. Millions of people are able to connect to others through various social networks. So, it makes sense that the education world also embrace this and start using it to our advantage! As an educator, I've learned about some sites that I never realized can make my teaching even better. By using social networks like wikispace and edublog, I will be able to teach my students how to communicate with other classmates outside of the class and take ownership in the work they complete in school. I do realize that it may take some time to teach my students how to use these social networks properly, but once the students are able to utilize it, I will be saving class time! Social networks are attractive to students, so I might as well use them to get students eager and WANT to learn science. 

When it comes to utilizing technological components like social networks, it is equally important to educate students about digital citizenship. To be honest, I never realized how detailed others have thought about elements of digital citizenship. This week, I learned that there are nine different elements to the topic!! Through my investigation into these elements, I was able to create a lesson plan on how I may teach my students about social networking and digital citizenship. Below is a link to my lesson plan.

Social Networking & Digital Citizenship Lesson Plan

Once I created this lesson plan with a classroom policy on digital citizenship, I discussed the concept of teaching this to my students next year, and she loved it. Technology isn't going anywhere. In fact, it is only going to become more and more advanced. So, it makes sense that we, as educators, need to add lessons on how to be digital citizens. Hopefully, many others feel the same way as I do and plan to do the same with his or her students.

No comments:

Post a Comment